How good are you at proving your point when having an argument?
How well can you stand your ground?
How do you search for good ideas to use when exchanging your point of views?
These questions are vital and can easily determine how often people listen to you and support your ideas. You might not necessarily be a fighter as a character, but learning how to write an argumentative essay is an essential skill.
So, if you are given a task to compose a good piece of argumentative writing, then this article is for you. We will talk about the way to compose a killer argumentative essay, its components as well as good topics to cover.
But first things first: what makes a great argumentative essay?
What makes a good argumentative essay?
If you are a student, then writing such compositions is not something new to you. Yet, if you are anything like us, then every time you are given this task, you start with staring at a blank page having no idea where to start.
So, to help you out, here is the proper structure of every essay of such type.
- You should always start here, do not skip this paragraph. It is important to start with demonstrating the main idea of the whole piece so that you and your readers will be on the same page.
Start off with an interesting hook. It must create intrigue and build up interest around the topic. Think of some numbers, shocking facts, or anecdotes that would create a good opening. Then, continue to develop the idea from the hook in a few sentences. And finally, end your introduction with a string thesis statement.
The thesis statement is a one sentence that expresses the whole idea of writing in short. It must not disclose all the details and aspects of the topic, but leave room for intrigue and interest. But it should be loud and clear.
- Developing your argument.
The next paragraph (or several ones) should focus on developing the argument. You must find good evidence to support your ideas as well as examples to illustrate the evidence.
Professionals recommend to have at least three different claims in this part as well as various examples proving your point.
When looking for the evidence, consider finding something that is original and fresh. Leave no room for conventional viewpoints. Think out-of-the-box and be original. People hate it when you repeat ideas that have already been said before.
- Comment on the opponents' arguments.
It is essential not only to provide the evidence to support your position but also to refute that of your opponents. Your readers need to see the whole picture, and that is what you are to focus on.
You can select two opposing views, because choosing more can be too much to cover. This will help your audience to see both your level of expertise and the big picture of the issue.
- Finally, you need a good conclusion which will summarize everything you said before and emphasize the most powerful points. View this part as your last chance to convince the readers in the correctness of your position, and do not lose a chance to support your views with bright illustrations.
This is what a proper essay should look like. However, apart from the proper structure, one also need to find an engaging topic to cover. So, if you are struggling with choosing a good theme for your writing, then consider picking one from the list we suggest below. There is something for everyone in here.
Argumentative essay topics
- Should sex education be taught in schools?
- Do low-calories diets really help to lose weight?
- Are sugar substitutes healthy for you?
- Why should the government pay more attention to the weight issue in the society?
- Should religion be taught in school?
- Should schools encourage the strengthening of interreligious relationships?
- Should people be punished for deforestation?
- Should the government forbid the citizens to hunt?
- How can the citizens help improve the wild life in their regions?
- How can we help to solve the issue of the lack of clean drinking water around the globe?
Good argumentative essay topics
- How can we make recycling a common practice for everyone?
- Should plastic bags in supermarkets be banned?
- What can your school do to promote recycling?
- Should governments create special restrictions against living in areas that face earthquakes?
- Should journalists be punished for lying in their articles?
- Should people believing in the UFO be treated as mentally unstable?
- What can companies do to build up employees' loyalty?
- At what age should young people be considered adults?
- Is global warming real?
- What theory is the truth - creationism or the Big Bang one?
Argumentative essay topics for college
- What can governments do with the nuclear waste?
- How can we start using less energy?
- Should the abortions be banned by the government?
- How can we decrease the divorce rates in the country?
- What age should people start getting married?
- Should teenagers who get pregnant unwillingly keep their children?
- What makes a good marriage?
- Do social media create isolation in the families?
- Is it true that birth order can determine your character?
- How can families spend time together?
Easy argumentative essay topics
- Should teenagers be banned from watching violent movies?
- How much time a day should teens spend online?
- Is growing in a big family better for children?
- Are beauty pageants good for kids?
- What is better - homeschooling or attending regular schools?
- When should teens start dating?
- What place do grandparents have in the lives of their grandchildren?
- What technologies changed your lives the most?
- How can cancer be prevented?
- Should people go to jail for talking over the phone while driving?
Interesting argumentative essay topics
- Should marijuana be used as a medical treatment?
- Should schools provide teens with access to birth control? Why or why not?
- What should be the drinking age?
- Should guns be outlawed?
- Should labs be punished for animal testing?
- Should death penalty be cancelled worldwide?
- Should products that were made using child labor be banned?
- How can the country provide jobs to all the young people?
- Should drug testing be a common part of employment process?
- What boundaries should a freedom of speech have?
Argumentative essay topics for middle school
- Why shouldn't all young people pursue higher education?
- Should smokers work in separate offices?
- Should America have an additional national language?
- Should the prisoners get education while behind the bars?
- Should there be restrictions on the amount of public ads on campus?
- What is better textbooks or eBooks?
- Is children's bedroom a room for kids only or should parents have free access too?
- Should schools pay students for good educational performance?
- Is physical punishment truly necessary?
- Should children be paid for doing chores?
Funny argumentative essay topics
- Why should all people watch funny cat videos?
- Why email spam is good for you.
- Should teens be paid for earing braces?
- Video games that make you a better person.
- What things do girls wish a guy knew?
- Is friend zone a myth?
- Why are popular kids at school less happy?
- Why Google rules the world?
- Why should you join the feminist movement?
- Why should you be the next President?
Argumentative research essay topics
- Is it okay for singles to adopt and raise children?
- Should all parents be accountable for their parenting?
- Why should women stop wearing high heels?
- Why laziness is a good thing?
- Why artificial intelligence is good for all people?
- Should people start colonizing other planets?
- What major issues with humanity face in the next 4 centuries?
- How can we achieve peace on earth?
- Should we have fewer smoking zones?
- What diet is healthier - vegetarian or the regular one?
Controversial argumentative essay topics
- Can teens get tattoos without parents' consent?
- Should euthanasia be outlawed?
- Is rock music violent?
- Can rap music lead to changes in sexual behavior of young people?
- How does rick music affect our mind?
- Should gay couple be allowed to adopt?
- Should smokers pay higher taxes?
- How to improve the healthcare in the state?
- How can technologies help solve major humanitarian issues?
- How can the USA government improve the situation with human trficking?
Difficult argumentative essay topics
- How to deal with the "glass ceiling" issue?
- How to help people feel content with their lives?
- How to decrease suicide rate in the world?
- How to stop the growing immorality of the society?
- Should wealthy countries help the poor ones/
- Is marriage essential?
- Should GMO products illegalized?
- Should children in the poor countries be vaccinated?
- What should we do about the fast food?
- Healthcare must free for everyone.
These topics will give you room for creativity. So, if you are having troubles coming up with good themes, just grab one of ours. Essays covering answers to these questions are destined to be engaging and original. Beware that it is mandatory to stick to the structure we mentioned above for better clarity.